Summer Field School
SGIS offers annual summer field schools for our students interested in archaeology. Topics may change from year to year as different professors lead the field school.
Student will learn how to conduct a surface survey, locate and map archaeological sites, identify and document artifacts, excavate an archaeological site, record soils and cultural strata, communicate findings and significance of this work to the interested public.
Archaic Period Foragers
Join Dr. Phil Geib in a socially distant field school experience investigating an Archaic Period camp site upper Salt Creek. Little is currently known about this site and the time period itself remains a poorly studied one in Nebraska.
- June 7, 2021 to July 9, 2021
- Monday-Friday, 9:00am-4:00pm
- Reller Prairie Research Station, 20 minutes southwest of Lincoln, NE
- ANTH 490/890 Section 602—Six credit hours
- Student responsible for own housing, food, and transportation
- Cost: $1554 for undergraduates, $2010 for graduate plus an additional $300.00 for supplies
Underwater Forensic Investigation
Join Dr. Bill Belcher in a field school experience exploring various aspects of forensic investigation in an underwater environment this summer. The first week will focus on basic scuba skills and the second and third weeks will focus on forensic investigation skills and scenario-based training.
- July 18, 2021 - August 13, 2021
- Cedar Point Biological Station near Ogallala, Nebraska
- Residence camp at Cedar Point, includes lodging and food
- ANTH 490/890 Section 603—Three credit hours
- Medical pre-screening required for registration - Contact Dr. Belcher for this screening form
- Students required to supply their own masks, snorkel, and fins/booties
- Cost: $777 for undergrad tuition, $930 for graduate tuition, $100 course fees, $100 SCUBA certification from PADI, $750 Cedar Point Fee for residence camp, $100 Cedar Point deposit
Students may apply for field school funding via the Hubbard Archaeology Scholarship. Applications are due by May 1, 2021.
Previous Field Schools
2020: Hybrid Online/In-Person Forensic Archaeology. Led by Dr. Bill Belcher
2019: Fremont Archaeology in Boulder, Utah. Led by Dr. Phil Geib
2018: Sand Hills Archaeology in Nebraska. Led by Dr. Phil Geib
2016: Sand Hills Archaeology in Nebraska. Led by Dr. LuAnn Wandsnider